The Sault Ste. Marie Gymnastics Club (SSMGC) has been operating as a not-for-profit organization for over 40 years. As a member of Gymnastics Canada Gymnastique and Gymnastics Ontario we share in the responsibility to promote and achieve enjoyment, physical development and personal skills through the sport of gymnastics. We are governed by a volunteer Board of Directors and operated by a leadership team composed of Kim O’Brien (Head Coach/Competitive Manager) and Sarah Young (Office/Recreational Manager).
SSMGC is an organization rich in history that has been providing comprehensive competitive and recreational gymnastics for men and women of all ages since 1977. We feel that gymnastics is a great medium for teaching your children strength, coordination, and body awareness that is a must for all other sports. Our programs are designed to safely teach each child at their own age and ability. The classes are organized by fun and challenging lesson plans which are designed to teach the whole child. In total, SSMGC provides certified instruction to approximately 550 non-competitive athletes and 65 competitive athletes each week.
Since 1977 the club has come a long way from over 100 participants and a volunteer staff, to 1000 plus participants and paid staff. We offer a variety of programs for all ages and ability levels. Some of the programs are pre-school drop ins, recreational and competitive programs, tumbling, school field trips, day camps, training camps, parties and conditioning programs.
Our large facility has tons of space for our competitive and recreational programs. We run each program by timed rotations so that we are never waiting for open equipment. Our staff takes pride in providing the cleanest, safest and most organized gymnastics centre in our area.
SSMGC takes pride in all its accomplishments. The club is home to several Provincial and National Champions. Our club has contributed to the program development of gymnastics in both Canada and the United States and has assisted in the development of coaches.
The Sault Ste. Marie Gymnastics Club continues to gain local, provincial and national recognition. SSMGC has provided gymnastics to the city of Sault Ste. Marie for over 40 years and looks forward to providing many more.
“Our goal is to create an atmosphere and environment where each athlete and coach has a chance to reach their individual and potential goals.”
Philosophy of the Sault Ste. Marie Gymnastics Club:
- Gymnastics programs shall be available for all ages and differing abilities in recreational, competitive and special needs. The programs will be delivered in a positive, developmental and safe environment, using modern equipment and a high standard of coaching.
- Gymnastics programs shall be available to the maximum number of participants and provide the very best in training to allow each athlete to develop to his/her potential.
- SSMGC will provide high quality gymnastics programs which will enhance the participant’s development of physical literacy and self-confidence.
- SSMGC shall encourage and facilitate those athletes who display a high level of skill to develop their potential in the competitive programs.
- SSMGC promotes sportsmanship, respect, responsibility and integrity as it teaches gymnastics through “Fun, Fitness, and Fundamentals”.
Mission: Our mission is to provide a fun, safe learning environment with qualified gymnastics coaches who will guide each individual in reaching their potential. We will achieve this by instituting equal opportunities for all gymnasts regardless of ability level, continuous professional development of our coaching team and promoting gymnastics as a life-long activity.